Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Homemade Orange-Ginger Carrot Kvass

All mixed up and ready to ferment!
I love beets, but I hate beet kvass.  There's no way to sugar coat it... I think it is too salty and tastes like dirt.  Period.  If you're like me, you love fermented drinks, but beet kvass is NOT on the menu. So, I discovered this recipe on the Cultures for Health  website and convinced myself to try kvass again... fingers crossed.


To make this beverage, you will need:

  • 6 carrots, sliced into thin coins
  • 2 T fresh ginger, chopped
  • 6 large strips orange zest (peel with potato peeler)
  • 4 t sea salt
  • About 1/2 gallon filtered, non-chlorinated water


I noticed bubbles after only 24 hours.


  • Place all ingredients in large glass container and stir to combine.  
  • Cover with a secured cloth and let ferment for 3-5 days.
  • Strain off liquid and bottle*- you can add a pinch of sweetener for added carbonation.
  • If doing a second ferment, let your sealed bottles sit on the counter for an additional 1-3 days.
  • Check for carbonation daily and move to cold storage before drinking.



Bottling day!  I added about 1 t honey per bottle for added carbonation.

*To make a second, weaker batch, leave 1 cup of liquid in your fermentation vessel with the remaining carrots, ginger and orange peel and re-fill with 1/2 gallon filtered water.  Leave to ferment for 3-5 days before bottling.  

I have to admit, this kvass is still salty.  It's not as "earthy" as the beet kvass, and I can drink it without making an "eww" face- but, I like bread kvass much better.  Experiement for yourself... which kvass is your favorite?  Whichever one you prefer, you are doing your tummy a favor by drinking this probiotic-rich beverage!  Enjoy!


My carrot kvass, ready for a second ferment!

No comments:

Post a Comment