Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Homemade French Dressing

When I lived in France while in college, I stayed with a family that had a great love of food. They not only made homemade sparkling apple cider but a variety of other things I had never even heard of before... One of my host father's special secrets was his salad dressing. It was nothing like I'd ever tasted before and made with real, fresh ingredients- not at all like "French dressing" at the grocery store. In fact, I never saw any "French dressing" in France! I think that is an American invention.




Here is what you'll need for my easy-peasy version of French vinaigrette:

1/4 c virgin olive oil (or other salad oil)
1/8 - 1/4 c raw apple cider vinegar- start with less and add more, if desired
splash red wine vinegar
1 1/2 t Dijon mustard
pinch sea salt
dash black pepper
drizzle heavy cream (optional)

Put all ingredients in a cheap plastic squeeze bottle and give it a good shake. I especially like this dressing on my daughter's Salade Nicoise. :) Use liberally over any greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment