Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Homemade Sourdough Bagels


Anyone who knows me knows that I love my bagels! When I was pregnant with my first child, my husband was forever driving to the local bakery getting me blueberry bagels and "very berry" cream cheese. Well, those bagels really helped me to pack on the pounds! I ended up gaining 65lbs that time...

Since those days, I have come to realize that sourdough is the better way to go. I don't eat bagels every day anymore, but when I do I choose sourdough! Sourdough is not only tasty, but the fermentation process that it goes through (with NO added commercial yeast) makes it more digestible than store-bought bread. Trust me- you will not find true sourdough at the grocery store. Just look at the ingredients! If it has yeast in it, it ain't true sourdough.

With that in mind, here's a great recipe for homemade bagels (the sourdough variety, of course!). I found a lovely recipe on an Australian website, and I changed a few amounts/ingredients to make it my own...

For 11 good-sized bagels:

about 3 cups sourdough starter
3/4 c water
4 1/3 c flour
2 3/4 T coconut oil
2 T organic sugar
1 1/8 T salt

Mix all ingredients together, knead until elastic (this will be a stiff dough).

Let rise in a covered bowl for 4 hours.

Divide up dough and form bagels on greased cookie sheets (I used coconut oil on 2 sheets)

Cover sheets with plastic wrap and store in fridge overnight.

**Next Day**

Pre-heat oven to 400F

Let dough warm on counter while you bring about 4 quarts water and 2 T sugar to a boil.

When water boils, drop in bagels two at a time and cook for 1 minute. Flip once. (At this point, you can dip them in your favorite topping.)

As bagels are done boiling, place them back on the cookie sheets.

Bake bagels for about 20 minutes, or until browned.

These goodies are perfect for a quick breakfast- toasted and with lots of butter! You can even freeze them for future use. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment